上海水磨论坛

Red Bluff falls in Oroville tournament championship to Lassen

first_imgOroville >> Every time the Red Bluff High boys basketball team would make a run or answer a Lassen field goal, the Grizzlies would have an immediate response. Usually it came off the hand of Wyatt Del Carlo or Wyatt Martin as the two combined for 40 points to lead Lassen to the 65-56 win over Red Bluff in the 24th Dennis Burnum Tournament final hosted by Oroville Saturday night. “We didn’t have enough good stretches,” Red Bluff coach Pablo Vazquez said. “There were times where we played …last_img read more

‘Huge response’ to renewables tender

first_img20 September 2011The preferred bidders to supply South Africa with renewable energy, as called for in the country’s Integrated Resource Plan for 2010 to 2030, will be announced at the UN climate summit starting in Durban on 28 November.South Africa’s Integrated Resource Plan envisages renewables contributing 42%, or 17 800 MW, of the country’s new generation capacity by 2030.The Department of Energy has put out a tender for the procurement of the first 3 725 MW of renewables capacity by 2016, which is likely to attract local and international investment of between US$10-billion and $12-billion.‘Overwhelming response’Speaking at a bidders’ conference for independent power producers in Midrand last week, department Director-General Nelisiwe Magubane said the level of interest shown by potential bidders was astonishing.Over 270 potential bidders had paid the R15 000 fee necessary to receive bid documentation. Magubane added that there was interest in the programme from companies from Spain, among other countries.“We are overwhelmed by the response from the market,” Magubane said, adding that the department believed the programme was bankable, judging by the response received.Potential bidders for the supply of the first 3 725 MW of renewable powere, including onshore, concentrated solar, biomass and small hydro, have until 4 November to submit their bids for consideration.Environmental authorisation, economic developmentAmong the requirements expected of bidders is that they submit environmental authorisation as well as shareholder agreements. Potential bidders are also expected to show achievement of economic development threshold.State electricity company Eskom will be the designated buyer and will provide connection to the power grid, excluding municipal connections.“We have received 321 applications for grid connection mainly for wind and PV (photo-voltaic),” said Eskom head of delivery Kannan Lakmeeharam.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Bareilly jail authorities want Atiq shifted

last_img

Meghalaya coal mine mishap: 45 days later, second body detected

last_img

CSL Group Oldendorff Carriers Join Trident Alliance

first_imgzoomIllustration. Source: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Dry bulk shipping companies CSL Group and Oldendorff Carriers have become the newest members of Trident Alliance, a network of shipping companies and other stakeholders working together for effective enforcement of sulphur regulations. As members of the Trident Alliance, CSL and Oldendorff Carriers have committed to compliance with the new IMO 2020 maritime sulphur cap and  support ‘robust and transparent’ enforcement of these regulations.“Safety and environmental stewardship are fundamental corporate objectives and core values at CSL,” Louis Martel, President and CEO of CSL Group, explained. “So we are delighted to join the Trident Alliance and add our voice to the growing calls for fair enforcement of environmental compliance,” he added.“We are pleased to join the Trident Alliance to broaden support for effective regulatory enforcement, and we look forward to working with other industry stakeholders to reach our shared objectives,” Peter Bagh, Chief Operating Officer at Oldendorff Carriers, pointed out.“I am very happy to welcome The CSL Group and Oldendorff Carriers to the Trident Alliance,” Roger Strevens, the Chair of the Trident Alliance and VP of Global Sustainability for Wallenius Wilhelmsen, said.“Our coalition has swelled to include 49 shipping owners and operators from around the globe, all sharing a common interest in effective enforcement of maritime sulphur regulations and the will to collaborate to help bring it about,” Strevens continued.last_img read more

Recipe Unlimited to phase out plastic straws at its 19 brands by

first_imgTORONTO – It’s the final straw for plastic at Recipe Unlimited Corporation.The restaurant giant, formerly known as Cara Operations, will start to ditch plastic straws at its 19 brands in August and replace them with compostable and biodegradable paper straws by the end of March 2019.The company, which owns brands such as Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, Kelsey’s and New York Fries, joins a growing group of Canadian restaurants and international food corporations that are phasing out the plastic drinking implements.Recipe Unlimited, which has 1,382 restaurants, says compostable and biodegradable straws will automatically be provided with drink orders at its quick serve brands, including the Burgers Priest and St-Hubert. Paper straws will be available on request at its full-service restaurants like the Pickle Barrel, The Keg and Milestones.“Straws are just one component of the work we’re undertaking to eliminate single use plastics from our supply chain and shift to recyclable or compostable materials wherever possible,” Frank Hennessey, Recipe Unlimited’s chief executive officer, said in a statement.A&W Canada said last month it would soon switch to paper straws, while Ikea Canada promised to phase out plastic straws by 2020. Plenty of local bars and dining establishments have made similar declarations.McDonald’s announced in June that it will switch to paper straws at all its locations in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and test an alternative to plastic ones in some of its U.S. restaurants later this year. However, a McDonald’s Canada spokesman said it would monitor the trials in those countries before taking steps in Canada.The shift comes amid global pressure from environmentalists demanding restaurants switch to compostable options in an effort to stop wildlife from getting stuck and injured by plastic and to prevent the material from littering coastlines and green spaces.Experts say Canadians use about 57 million straws a day, but less than 20 per cent are recycled. They often recommend paper, metal or wood straws as alternatives.However, plastic straw bans have also generated concerns among some people with disabilities who say they need them and worry that sweeping bans will have unintended consequences.Still, many restaurants appear to be moving ahead with phasing out the plastic version.Restaurant Brands International, which owns Tim Hortons, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen and Burger King, said Wednesday that it is reviewing its packaging and looking at alternative options.Their considerations come after Vancouver city council recently put forward a proposal pushing servers to ask customers if they want a straw, instead of automatically delivering one with drink orders.On top of the recent environmental push, food industry expert Robert Carter said millennials — the restaurant industry’s biggest customer base — are playing a big role in the move away from plastic straws.“This is a segment that skews towards cause-based issues, so I think that is also putting pressure on restaurants to get ahead of these things before they have a backlash,” he said.He anticipates that the influence of millennials will soon extend beyond straws to target other plastic restaurant goods, including cutlery and packaging, because that consumer base often uses food delivery services, which are “exploding.” However, materials related to beverages are only a “tiny component” of the plastic items such services distribute, he said, making them ripe for change.Across the pond, British Prime Minister Theresa May is also eyeing a ban on plastic straws, cotton swabs and stir sticks and prodding other nations to follow suit.Canada has yet to make a similar commitment, but Carter believes “it is only a matter of time before it comes to North America.”Companies in this story: (TSX:RECP)last_img read more

Iranian MPs convene with ‘Death to America’ chants

first_imgTehran: Iranian lawmakers dressed in paramilitary uniforms chanted “Death to America” as they convened Tuesday for an open session of parliament after the White House designated Iran’s Revolutionary Guard a foreign terrorist organization. President Hassan Rouhani declared that the force’s popularity would only surge in the wake of the designation, saying guard members would be dearer “than any other time in the hearts of Iranian nation.” Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei praised the guard and said America’s “evil designs would not harm” the force. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USThe move by Washington on Monday was an unprecedented declaration against a foreign government entity one that could prompt retaliation and make it harder for Americans to work with allies in the region who have contact with members and affiliates of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, or IRGC. It marks the first time the United States has designated an entire entity of another government as a terrorist organization, placing a powerful and expansive armed force with vast economic resources that answers only to Iran’s supreme leader in the same category as al-Qaida and the Islamic State group. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIran’s rival, Saudi Arabia, welcomed the U.S. decision, describing it as a “serious and practical step to combat terrorism.” A Foreign Ministry official said the designation “translates Saudi Arabia’s repeated demands for the international community to confront terrorism supported by Iran.” Within hours of the Trump administration’s declaration, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council responded by designating the US Central Command, also known as CENTCOM, and all its forces as terrorist, and labeling the U.S. a “supporter of terrorism.”last_img read more

Hardik wants to prove a point with bat and ball: Rohit

first_imgMumbai: Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma says Hardik Pandya has been driven by a desire “prove a point to himself”, more than anyone else, in what is turning out to be a good IPL season for the flamboyant all-rounder. Pandya’s 16-ball unbeaten 37 guided Mumbai Indians to a five-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore Monday night. The all-rounder is averaging a healthy 46.50 and has a strike rate of over 190 in the eight matches he has played this season. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh “His (Hardik’s) hitting has been helping the team and him as well to move forward. This is something he wanted to do because he didn’t have a lot of time before coming to the IPL,” Rohit said after Monday’s match. “So he wanted to prove a point with bat and ball, to himself more than anyone else. The way he is hitting it gives us confidence as a team that there is someone who can hit that well at the end and win crucial games.” Talking about veteran Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga, who took four wickets to restrict RCB to 171 for 7, Rohit said, “Lasith’s performance matters a lot to us. We missed him for a few games. Trust me, with all that he has done over the years, bowling at the death at the Wankhede is very difficult. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later “Credit goes to the bowlers in general for restricting a good RCB batting line-up to 170 odd.” Rohit, however, admitted that he is yet to figure out the Wankhede pitch. “To be honest, I still haven’t figured out the pitch here this season. Normally it’s safe to chase here, but today no one expected it to play this way. If the pitch plays like that I don’t want to chase,” he said with a smile. Pandya, on his part, praised openers Rohit (28) and Quinton de Kock (40) for the the start the team got in the run chase. “Hats off to both the openers. It was not easy to bat on this wicket but they made it easy for us in the end. I felt RCB didn’t bowl well in the Powerplay and that’s where I thought they lost the game,” he said. “We began well and had the bowlers who hit the deck hard and got some purchase off the wicket. The way the wicket started playing, even AB found it difficult but they both (AB and Moeen) played well. A disappointed RCB and India captain Virat Kohli defended the move to use left-arm spinner Pawan Negi in the 19th over of which Pandya smashed 22 runs to end the match. “At the end, we had to take the risk with the left-arm spinner, with two right-handed batsmen. Giving pace was risky, especially with a bit of dew. Unfortunately, it didn’t come off,” said Kohli. “With the ball, we weren’t that great in the first six overs but the guys fought hard in the middle overs and came back well. We just have to enjoy ourselves, play the way we did in the last two games. Need to keep our composure under pressure. Need to take half-chances.last_img read more

Memorable Memorial for Tiger Woods

Jack Nicklaus, the all-time leader in men’s golf major championship victories with 18, founded the Memorial Tournament in 1976. Thirty-six years later, Tiger Woods won Nicklaus’ tournament for the fifth time, and tied Nicklaus in the record books for the second-most all-time on the PGA Tour.Woods, who previously won the tournament in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2009, finished the tournament with a 72-hole score of 279 (9-under-par), two strokes better than Rory Sabbatini and Andres Romero, who tied for second place at 7-under-par. The tournament, which began Thursday and concluded Sunday at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio, was Woods’ second victory of the season.The win was also Woods’ 73rd victory of his PGA Tour career, tying him with Nicklaus. On the all-time wins list, Woods trails only Sam Snead, the all-time leader with 82 victories.Woods said it was “awfully special” to tie Nicklaus on the all-time wins list, with Nicklaus watching him on the 18th hole.“It’s special for me to do it here, to do it with Jack here,” Woods said. “It just makes it that much more special.”After cracking a joke, Nicklaus also praised Woods’ achievement.“Well, he had to rub it in my face right here, didn’t he?” Nicklaus said. “No, if he’s going to do it, which he was obviously going to, I’d like to see it happen here. That was good. That was great.”Woods hit 14 out of 18 greens in regulation on Sunday, but his winning round could be remembered most for one of the four holes that he did not.Woods hit an errant tee shot on the 16th hole in the rough behind and to the right of the green. He recovered by converting his second shot, a 49-foot-10-inch chip, for a birdie. That birdie moved Woods into a tie for the lead at 8-under-par with Sabbatini.Nicklaus gave the shot high praise, while Woods admitted that the shot was challenging.“Under the circumstances, I’ve never seen a better shot,” Nicklaus said.Woods finished Sunday’s fourth and final round with a score of 67 (5-under-par), which tied three other golfers for Sunday’s best score.Woods said his round on Sunday was “fun.”“I had it all today,” Woods said.Rickie Fowler, who was paired with Woods on Sunday, said he was impressed with his playing partner’s performance.“He looked very comfortable and hit a lot of good shots,” Fowler said. “The times where he’s in the moment and in the heat of contention is where he really shines.”Fowler came into Sunday at 5-under-par, but finished the tournament at 7-over-par to finish in a tie for 52nd place.Woods came into the round at 4-under-par, four strokes back of the tournament’s 54-hole leader, Spencer Levin. He birdied four of his first seven holes to move within one stroke of the lead behind Levin, who was 9-under-par at the time. Woods dropped back to 6-under-par, however, after bogeying two of his next three holes, and remained at 6-under-par through the 14th hole.Down the stretch, however, Woods birdied the 15th, 16th and 18th holes. Following Woods’ chip-in, Sabbatini bogeyed the 16th hole to fall to 7-under-par, and Woods held the lead all the way to victory.Levin finished the tournament at 5-under-par to tie for fourth place.Woods said that he feels “comfortable” playing at Muirfield Village Golf Club, where the Memorial Tournament is held annually.“For some reason over the course of my career, I’ve done really well on (Nicklaus’) golf courses, even going back to my amateur days,” Woods said. “I just have a good feeling of how to play the golf course.”Woods will compete next at the second major championship of the year, the 112th U.S. Open, which will be held June 14-17 at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, Calif. Woods, a 14-time major champion, is a three-time U.S. Open winner. Woods tied for 18th at the 1998 U.S. Open, the last time the tournament was held at The Olympic Club.Asked whether he is “back,” and ready to win another major championship, Woods gave a quick response.“I won,” Woods said with a laugh. read more

Urban Meyer fairly optimistic Braxton Miller will play against California

Ohio State’s top two quarterbacks both suffered injuries during the Buckeyes’ most recent football game against San Diego State, but OSU coach Urban Meyer is confident Braxton Miller and Kenny Guiton will be ready to play Saturday against California.Miller, the Buckeyes’ junior starting quarterback, suffered an MCL sprain in his left knee during the first quarter of the SDSU game and did not return. He resumed throwing Tuesday and was scheduled to practice in a “limited capacity,” Meyer said during Tuesday’s Big Ten weekly coaches’ teleconference.“His arm is fine and everything, it’s just can he plant, can he move and all that,” Meyer said. “I’ll know more of that after (Tuesday’s) practice.”Meyer said he will know tomorrow whether Miller will be available to play Saturday.“I’m fairly optimistic (Miller will be able to play),” Meyer said. “The improvement made between day three (since suffering the injury) and day four is very important, and that’s usually substantial.”Miller, the 2012 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, has completed 17 of his first 24 passing attempts this season. He has passed for 208 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. He has also gained 82 yards on 18 rushing attempts.Guiton, a redshirt-senior, was brought off the bench and into action for the second consecutive week to start the season after Miller went down with an injury. Guiton played the rest of the game for OSU, completing 19 of 28 passes for 152 yards and two touchdowns, while also gaining 83 rushing yards on nine attempts, including a 44-yard rushing touchdown.Guiton helped lead the Buckeyes to a 42-7 victory, but in the process may not been fully healthy. Meyer said Guiton hit his hand on a helmet following one of his throws, which caused his hand to be “very swollen” Sunday.“He’s a tough guy that fought through it,” Meyer said of Guiton.Meyer said Guiton is “fine,” and defined the injury as a contusion.“He’s ready to go,” Meyer said.Kickoff for OSU’s first road game of the season is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif. The 2-0 Buckeyes will be looking for their third win of the season against the 1-1 Golden Bears. read more