Dharmesh

Yemen Shuts Down Ports amid Air Strikes

first_img Print  Close 此页面无法正确加载 Google 地图。您是否拥有此网站?确定 My locationcenter_img zoom Yemen shut down all major ports on Thursday amid bomb strikes launched by the Saudi Arabia, Reuters reports.Local sources in Yemen confirmed the closure, according to  Al Arabiya News.The ports in question include Aden, Al Mukalla, Al Mokha and Al Hudaydah. It has not been informed when the ports might be expected to open.Saudi Arabia bombed positions of Houthi militias, a rebel force believed to be backed by Iran on Thursday morning. The Houthi militias had already overthrown President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and were working to oust him. The move by the Saudi Arabia, one of the major exporters of oil, is seen as a way of thwarting spreading of Iranian influence in the region.Intensifying armed clashes and political instability in Yemen have raised concerns of the maritime world fearing that the conflict might result in closing of the shipping routes in the Gulf of Aden, in particular in Bab el-Mandeb passage.Around 4 million barrels are transported through the Bab el-Mandeb passage on daily basis.A potential closure of the passage would bring about delays and considerable hike in costs.“If an escalating conflict results in the closure of the Bab el-Mandeb Straits, tankers from the Persian Gulf would be unable to reach the Suez Canal and the SUMED Pipeline, diverting them around the southern tip of Africa, a journey of at least 40 days,” Reuters cited shipping analyst Natasha Boyden with MLV & Co as saying.Four Egyptian naval vessels forced Iranian retreat from Bab Al-Mandab strait near the Port of Aden on Thursday, as informed by Arab News.The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said it was coordinating military efforts with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) in responding to the ongoing situation.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Frenchlanguage Licence Plate Unveiled

first_imgNova Scotians can display pride in their Acadian heritage with a new, optional French-language licence plate. Based on public input, the Acadian flag will be the image featured on the new licence plate, which was unveiled today, Aug. 15. Nova Scotians provided input by completing survey questions asking them to select one of four Acadian-themed licence plate designs and to include their thoughts on a possible donation that could be used to support the long-term development of the Acadian and francophone community. “We received input from over 1,500 Nova Scotians on the plate design as well as the donation fee,” said John MacDonell, Minister of Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations. “Now that we have chosen a design, we can move forward to manufacture the plate and make the necessary changes to the Registry of Motor Vehicles system to include the new plate.” “Acadians are proud of their heritage,” said Graham Steele, Minister of Acadian Affairs. “By opting for this new licence plate, Nova Scotians will be showing their Acadian pride and, at the same time, supporting their local community.” Eighty-four per cent of survey respondents chose the image of the Acadian flag. Sixty per cent said a donation should be collected as part of a cultural fund for Acadian and francophone community projects. The entire donation will go back to the Acadian community in which it originated. Acadian Affairs will manage the cultural fund, called the Vive l’Acadie Community Support Fund. The new licence plate is expected to be available in January. It will be issued, by request, to passenger and light commercial vehicles up to 5,000 kilograms. Standard registration fees will apply, in addition to a $50 donation fee, which will be collected initially and on registration renewals. For more information, call 424-5851 in HRM or toll-free 1-800-898-7668. A video of the unveiling is available atwww.accessns.ca/plate or www.accessns.ca/immatriculation.last_img read more